Friday, February 6, 2009

Web 2.0 and Privacy

I suspect part of my disinterest in many aspects of Web 2.0 has to do with what feels to me (an old curmudgeonly nonweb native) as a loss of privacy and or control. I think people of my generation- as opposed to those like my son growing up with this technology- have a different take on privacy. Perhaps when I was younger and revelled in social interaction with my peers, which was limited to phone conversations on land lines or face to face encounters, I would have welcomed all these opportunities to be so connected. Now that I'm old enough to find the social ramble ain't restful, I find much of this intrusive.

Not to mention that most of what I read seems to be things said for the sake of saying them, not unlike the cell phone conversations I am treated to as I wander throught the world- they talk largely just because they can- not because they really need to impart or get some information.

No comments:

Post a Comment