Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Overdriven

Overdrive worked perfectly- always nice to see. I downloaded some music to try it when it first went up which worked fine, but this time I downloaded a book- "The Eyre Affair" by Jasper Fford (not a typo), and placed another title- "The Botany of Desire" by Michael Pollan on hold.

I will be transferring these titles to my mp3 player, hopefully that will work as easily and smoothly as the rest of the process.

I'll be curious to see the circ stats on Overdrive use around the county, I suspect it is vastly underutilized at present, but I believe it is probably the model for future libraries.

I remember our original director Bob Verbesey remarking on how he felt when videos first outcirculateded books; on the one hand videos were pushing overall circ stats ever higher but there was something about books losing their primacy in the library galaxy that was sad and disconcerting. Those of us who come to librarianship primarily from a love of reading and the comfort and efficacy of books continue to have that sense of loss as we watch books transform from what they have been to what they will be and the resultant transformation of libraries themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment